Monday, January 28, 2013

Mildly Selfish Momma Moments.

Before I became a blog writer, I was an avid blog reader. Still am. I love the 'put it all out on the table' type of stuff and I so desperately wish I could be one of those women. . . Alas I am not, but I've got some ideas (stay tuned for that train wreck)!
Anywho. I recently read a blog in which a woman wrote about all of the fabulously selfish moments of motherhood. I laughed until I cried, mostly because it was all so true (even though I would never publicly admit it . . . until now)!!!
I'll be honest . . . I think I am a pretty awesome mom. Could I be better? Sure! Couldn't we all? I love reading/writing about the deep, heartfelt, 'tug at your heart strings' momma moments, but is that honestly all there is to it? Now , let me say that I deeply love and cherish every moment with my child, and every cheesy line comes from the bottom of my heart. . . but mommas can be selfish, too!

So here are mine. The most insane, ridiculously shallow and selfish moments of my short career.

1. I breastfeed.



I have been moderately passionate about breasfeeding from the start. I think it is a true gift from God to equip women with an ability to nourish their child. The bond you build, the health-benefits they reap . . . etc  . . . It is incomparable to anything else and it truly brings me joy. Now, with that being said, let's get to the nitty gritty.
As a fellow blogger wrote, "Why would I opt out of something that burns 500-800 calories while I sit on my butt, watch cartoons and eat all the chocolate in sight... all while snuggling my baby?" I used to love going to the gym! Now, I chase a baby energizer bunny on steroids around the house all day. Gym? Probably not. I am smaller than I was pre-pregnancy and I eat a row of oreos on the regular. I think I'll keep it up.
I can calm a fussy baby at any moment or time. No guesswork necessary. As long as she isn't hurt, it doesn't matter what is wrong, a little nursey and she is good to go. No colic, no screaming baby for hours on end, little trouble getting her to bed . . . It sells itself right there.
When going out of the house, I can't forget my breasts. I forget diapers, wipes, toys, snacks, snot suckers and everything else under the sun, at least, once a week. I can handle just about (I am going to emphasize just about )  any situation without those things, with the exception of a total blow out,  as long as she has her nursey. The fewer things to remember the better, considering the complete jumble my brain has become.


2. I don't have to be your friend anymore.
There are so many people that I genuinely didn't need in my life, simply because they weren't healthy friendships, but I didn't have the heart to just walk away. When you have a baby, they don't want to be your friend anymore anyway. I'm not enough fun for them anymore.  See ya later. Little do they know that when they call because they need a ridiculous favor, or want you to go out on the town and you say, "I'm sorry I can't, I have the baby." , you have the freedom to hang up and make the most ridiculous noises you never dreamed of making,  crawling around on the floor like a wild animal, listening to the sweetest most sincere cackle from your boring, fun sucking child. =]

3. I watch Disney all day everyday.
Amelia is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and I love it! I think it is the cutest show, and it's educational! Also, I really don't enjoy movies made for adults. It's always violent or scary or sad, and you always end up with a heavy heart at the end because of all the cursing and vulgarity. Enter baby. Violent, scary, inappropriate movies are no longer allowed =] You want to socialize? We will gladly switch on some old school Disney movies and laugh until we cry because they are genuinely funny, clean  and happy! And at the end of the day, who can't use a little more laughter and clean humor in their lives?

4.I can drink as much coffee as I want.
"Wow! Why do you drink so much coffee? You know that's not healthy" You want to know why?  I'm a mom. That's all it takes. That is all you have to say and whoever asked you that potentially suicidal question will back down . . . immediately! No explanation needed =]

5. I spend more time with the people I love.
When all is said and done, the only people that really stick around often are the people that love you and your children. So in other words, family. Everyone else just kind of fades away and guess what? It's awesome! I have so much more fun acting like a complete goob around people that already love me, and they act just as silly! I laugh so much more with those people than I ever have with anyone else, and Amelia has the time of her life.  Not to mention, I get a break from lugging around the ol' big booty Judy!

6. I get an escape, anytime, anyplace.
I get an escape during the annoying family gatherings that last 12 hours and I never see my baby, the lady in the supermarket that wants to keep pinching her fat little thighs or any other situation that irritates me to no end. When momma says baby is hungry or over-stimulated (which is actually true sometimes) that means you hand her over and we go find a private, quiet room to nurse while momma checks Facebook/Twitter and collects herself for another round with the crowd.

7. You are forced to take more naps.
When you nurse a sweet little innocent baby to sleep, you can't very well put her down. So what do you do? Take a nap with her of course. Happy momma makes a happy baby right? (I hope that is actually justifiable haha) I have so many other things that i should be doing but .... I don't =]

 Needless to say, motherhood is the most selfless thing you will ever do! You literally give everything you were and everything you are, to your child. And honestly, its wonderful. People talk about sacrifices but I've not been face-to-face with something I consider a sacrifice I had to make because of my flower. I thoroughly enjoy every result of her existence.

But . . . there are definitely some perks and more than a few mildly selfish momma moments.







2 comments:

  1. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this blog and I completely can relate to this! I love reading your blogs because I see so many similarities in our mothering styles and opinions. I find a comfort in knowing that I'm not alone in these thoughts! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. There are so many things we don't recognize, or think we aren't allowed to feel but , talking with other moms makes it seem rather normal. =]

    ReplyDelete